The Castle of Rocca Calascio which is located in Abruzzo, Italy. The Castle of Rocca Calascio is an imposing fortress located in the municipality of Calascio, in the province of L’Aquila. It is considered one of the most evocative and iconic castles in Italy.
The castle dates back to the 10th century and is situated at an altitude of approximately 1,460 meters above sea level, making it the highest castle in the Abruzzo Apennines. Its strategic position on top of a hill offers spectacular views of the surrounding mountains, making it a fascinating destination for nature lovers and photography enthusiasts.
Why visit the Castle of Rocca Calascio?
- History and Architecture: The castle has a fascinating history and unique architecture. It was built as a defensive structure to watch over the valley below and protect the area from enemy attacks. Its massive walls, towers and ramparts are a real feast for the eyes and will make you feel as if you have stepped back in time.
- Breathtaking landscape: The position of the castle offers an extraordinary panoramic view of the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park. From the air, you can admire the majestic mountains, green pastures, deep valleys and picturesque surrounding landscapes. It is a perfect place for nature lovers and trekking enthusiasts.
- Film set: Rocca Calascio Castle has become famous as a film set for several films, including “Ladyhawke” e “The name of the rose”. Its unique atmosphere and architectural features make it an ideal place to create an authentic medieval setting.
Here are some useful tips for your visit
- Clothing and equipment: Bear in mind that the castle is located at a high altitude, so temperatures can be cooler than in the surrounding areas. Dress appropriately and bring extra layers of clothing with you. Wear comfortable shoes, as you may have to walk over rough terrain.
- Camera: If you like photography, don’t forget to bring your camera. The landscape and architecture of the castle offer plenty of opportunities for spectacular photo opportunities.
- Excursions: Take advantage of the visit to the castle to also explore the surrounding natural beauties. There are many hikes and trails in the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park that will allow you to fully appreciate the region.
- Guided tour: Learn more about the history and features
Discussion about this post