The Grotte del Cavallone are a series of spectacular caves located within the Maiella National Park, in the territory of the municipalities of Lama dei Peligni and Taranta Peligna, in the province of Chieti. They are one of the most fascinating natural attractions in the region and offer a unique experience.
Here’s why you should visit the Grotte del Cavallone:
- Natural beauty: The Grotte del Cavallone offer an extraordinary natural spectacle. The limestone formations, stalactites and stalagmites create a magical and evocative environment. You can admire the beautiful stone sculptures, columns and calcite waterfalls that have formed over the centuries.
- Underground Exploration: Visiting caves gives you the opportunity to explore a fascinating underground world. You can walk along the illuminated paths and discover the different rooms and caves that make up the Grotte del Cavallone complex.
- Adventure and nature: The Grotte del Cavallone are located within a protected natural area, the Maiella National Park. This means you can combine a visit to the caves with hiking, walking and outdoor activities in the beautiful natural surroundings. You could venture onto scenic trails, admire the local flora and fauna and enjoy the beauty of the landscape.
The cave is known in theatrical literature for being the setting of the pastoral tragedy La figlia di Iorio, written by Gabriele D’Annunzio in 1903, although the author has never visited it.
The cave in the text has symbolic and magical values because the lovers Aligi, son of Lazaro, who moved to the village with his family from Roio, and Mila, daughter of Iorio, are hiding there.
The first, a shepherd by profession, is a young man from a good family who has to marry a woman promised to him, but who falls in love with Mila; in fact, the latter is a poor commoner over whom the prejudice of the local peasants falls, who define her as an evil witch. In fact, she is chased by factors to be lynched, but Aligi protects her and hides her inside the cave.
Here are some useful tips for your visit to the Grotte del Cavallone:
- Reservations: It is advisable to book your visit to the caves in advance, especially during the high season, to guarantee access and to avoid long waits.
- Appropriate clothing: Inside the caves, the temperature is constant and quite cool, so make sure you wear suitable clothing, such as a light sweatshirt or light jacket. Also bring comfortable, non-slip shoes, as the ground can be slippery.
- Tour guide: To fully appreciate the Grotte del Cavallone, consider joining a guided tour. Expert guides will provide you with interesting information about the rock formations and history of the caves, making the experience more enriching.
- Camera and lighting: Bring a camera with you to capture the beauty of the caves. However, please note that inside the caves you may be required to use only the lighting provided by the installed light points, avoiding the use of flashes or your own lights.
More information and details to book your visit can be found on the official website of the caves.
Discussion about this post