Lake San Domenico and the Hermitage of San Domenico are two places of great interest located in the territory of Villalago, in the province of L’Aquila, in Abruzzo. Here is some information about both places:
Lake of San Domenico
- Characteristics: Lake San Domenico is one of the two twin lakes located near Villalago, the other is Lake Scanno. This lake has an elongated shape and is surrounded by green hills and mountains, creating a picturesque backdrop. The waters of the lake are crystal clear and reflect the surrounding landscape.
- Activities: The lake is a great place for outdoor activities such as fishing, sailing, swimming and kayaking. Scenic walks around the lake are very popular, and the surrounding area offers numerous hiking opportunities.
- Recommended periods: The best time to visit Lake San Domenico is during the summer season (from June to September), when temperatures are milder and water activities are more pleasant. However, winter can also be charming, as the area can be covered in snow, creating a magical atmosphere.
Hermitage of San Domenico
- Characteristics: The Hermitage of San Domenico is a place of Christian worship located in the surrounding area of Lake San Domenico. This hermitage is known for its beauty and spiritual atmosphere. It is a stone religious building, located on a hill with a breathtaking panoramic view of the surrounding countryside.
- Visits: The hermitage can be visited, but you may need to arrange a guided tour or contact the local caretaker to access the building, as it may not always be open to the public.
- Recommended periods: The best time to visit the Hermitage of San Domenico is during spring and summer, when the climate is more favorable and the surrounding area is green and in bloom, creating a particularly evocative atmosphere.
To visit both Lake San Domenico and the Hermitage of San Domenico, you can follow the road signs for Villalago and then proceed towards the lake and the hermitage. Be sure to respect local rules and visit the hermitage with due reverence if you plan to enter. Happy travels and happy exploration!
Photo taken from Luigino Lippi’s video.