The rock church of Santa Maria di Idris is located in Matera in Basilicata and is located in the upper part of Monterrone, a large limestone cliff that rises in the middle of the Sasso Caveoso; it can be reached via a flight of stairs near the rock church of Santa Lucia alle Malve. The name Idris derives from the Greek Odigitria, the one who shows the way, or from the water that flowed from that rock.
Below is the photo in its original size
You may also be interested in
- Uno dei luoghi surreali d’Italia. Hai già visitato la Chiesa Rupestre di Santa Maria di Idris a Matera?
- Eventi Firenze. Ritorna il Festival Chianti’n Rock
- Campania. Do you know Sorrento, the wonderful village on the cliff and the sea?
- Do you know where it is and how to visit the Lake of Montagna Spaccata (Split Mountain)?
- Luca’s Portorosso. Do you know Where In Italy Is The Pixar Movie Set?