The Pian di Spagna and Lake Mezzola Nature Reserve is one of the most fascinating and protected natural areas in Lombardy. It is located in the north-western area of the region and covers a vast area that includes Lake Mezzola and the surrounding alluvial plain, which extends between Lake Como and Lake Mezzola. The reserve is characterized by a great variety of natural habitats, including woods, meadows, wetlands and waterways, which make it a place of great naturalistic value.
What to see and do?
- Wildlife observation: The reserve is an important resting place for numerous species of migratory birds. Birdwatchers will enjoy a wide variety of species, including herons, storks, ducks and many more.
- Hikes and Walks: There are various hiking trails that pass through the reserve, offering visitors the opportunity to explore the natural beauty of the area. Some routes follow the lake, while others enter the surrounding forest.
- Water sports: Lake Mezzola offers opportunities for activities such as canoeing, windsurfing and fishing.
- Visitor Center: At the Reserve’s Visitor Center, you can find detailed information on the local fauna and flora, as well as the history and geology of the area.
Recommended periods for visiting
The Pian di Spagna and Lago di Mezzola Nature Reserve can be visited throughout the year, but the spring and summer seasons are the most popular due to the most favorable weather conditions. Spring is an ideal time to observe flowering meadows and bird migration. Summer offers the opportunity to enjoy water activities on the lake. Autumn is equally charming, with the bright colors of falling leaves.
How to reach the Pian di Spagna and Lake Mezzola Nature Reserve?
- By car: You can reach Sorico and the reserve by car from Como or other nearby cities.
- By train: The nearest train station is in Colico, from which you can take a taxi or bus to reach the reserve.
- By bicycle: The area is well connected by cycle paths, making cycling a pleasant way to explore the area.
Always remember to respect the rules and regulations of the reserve to preserve its natural beauty and wildlife. Please check up-to-date information on the reserve before your visit, as there may be changes in conditions and opening times. For more information visit the official website of the nature reserve. Photo by Raffaele Recalcati from GoogleMaps.