Before getting to know the typical dishes of Lazio, let’s say that the cuisine of Lazio is known for its simplicity, genuineness and intense flavours. Some of the typical dishes include:
- Pasta all’amatriciana, made with tomato, pancetta and pecorino romano;
- Coda alla vaccinara, an oxtail stew with vegetables;
- Saltimbocca alla Romana, slices of veal with raw ham and sage;
- Carciofi alla giudia, artichokes fried in olive oil;
- Porchetta, a roast pork stuffed with herbs and spices.
Additionally, Lazio is known for its cheeses, including pecorino romano and caciocavallo. Finally, as far as desserts are concerned, the Maritozzi are particularly famous, cakes in the shape of a sweet bun filled with whipped cream.
What are the typical dishes of Rome?
Rome, the capital of Lazio and of Italy, has a very rich and varied culinary tradition. Among the typical dishes of Rome we find:
- Carbonara pasta, made with eggs, bacon (or bacon), pepper and pecorino romano;
- The amatriciana pasta, already mentioned, which uses the same ingredients as the carbonara but with the addition of tomato;
- Roman pizza, which has a thin and crunchy base, topped with tomato, mozzarella and olive oil;
- Coda alla vaccinara, an oxtail stew with vegetables, already mentioned;
- Roman artichokes, artichokes cooked with garlic, parsley and mint;
- Tripe alla romana, tripe cooked with tomato, pepper and mint;
- The saltimbocca alla romana, slices of veal with raw ham and sage, already mentioned.
Furthermore, in Rome it is possible to taste numerous desserts, including the already mentioned husbandzzi, but also the ricotta and sour cherry tart and the tiramisu, which is widespread throughout Italy.
What are the typical dishes of Lazio according to our readers?
In this article, it was we of the editorial staff who asked our readers to express their opinions on the typical dishes of Lazio that they just can’t give up. There were so many responses that a veritable “encyclopedia” of the typical cuisine of the Lazio region was created. Here is the link to the group post. In addition, we have also added this interesting video.
Discussion about this post