How to make pallotte cace e ove? The appetizer that we present to you today, the pallotte cace e ove (cheese and eggs balls), are a triumph of flavor.
A light crust and then the taste of aged pecorino emerges immediately, which with the bread evokes peasant lands and barren pastures. A real treat!
More and more tourists from all over the world, visiting the Abruzzo region, look for this delicacy belonging to the so-called “poor cuisine” in the restaurants. North Americans, Australians, Russians, North Europeans all looking for the typical Abruzzo appetizer.
Tasted with good homemade bread, it leaves the palates and soul of tourists a desire to return soon to Abruzzo. We know that the variations can be many, from the type of cheese, to frying or not the pallotte, to how to make the sauce etc. But we have chosen to propose the variant we have tried. Here is the recipe.
What ingredients do you need to make the pallotte cace e ove?
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 4 eggs,
- 400g of grated mixed cheese (250g of parmesan and 150g of another type, e.g. pecorino not very strong or rigatino)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- sweet pepper
- seed oil
- olive oil
Which procedure do we recommend you follow?
For the cheese and eggs balls
- in a bowl, beat the 4 eggs as if you were making an omelette
- add the rain cheese, breadcrumbs, finely chopped parsley and 1 clove of garlic, also very finely chopped
- in this way you get a fairly full-bodied mixture that allows you to obtain meatballs (if it does not seem consistent enough, add only breadcrumbs
- bring the seed oil to temperature and fry the pallotte, remembering that the color of good cooking approaches light brown
- Take them out of the oil and dry on paper.
We advise you not to add salt as even the cheese alone will give the right flavor.
For the sauce:
- Put olive oil and 1 clove of garlic in an earthenware pan with high sides
- lightly brown and pour the tomato together with the pepper
- cook the sauce.
- as soon as the sauce is cooked, immerse the meatballs by heating and seasoning for a few minutes
- serve your pallotte hot.
Join Viaggiando Abruzzo (official group) to see more photos and to send yours ..