The sanctuary of the Madonna della Corona is located in the municipality of Ferrara di Monte Baldo in the province of Verona, in a cavity dug in Monte Baldo.
In the 15th century it was a hermitage; the first church was inaugurated in 1530, after the visit of Bishop Gian Matteo Giberti. It became a sanctuary in 1625, when the knights of Malta had the church rebuilt, which was then completed in 1680.
The sanctuary was consecrated on June 4, 1978, the completion of the restructuring was done in honor of the visit of Pope John Paul II on April 17, 1988 (in July 1982 the same pope had raised the sanctuary to the dignity of a minor basilica
While once it was only accessed through a climb of steps from the town of Brentino in Vallagarina, today it can also be reached via an asphalted road after the town of Spiazzi, which ends in a tunnel dug in the rock in 1922, where the painting of the Madonna.
This road is passable only on foot, and along the way there are the fourteen stations of the Via Crucis in bronze statues, and the sepulcher where Jesus was placed after his death is reproduced.
The sanctuary is the terminal point of the so-called Way of the two Sanctuaries, which begins in the sanctuary of the Pieve di Chiampo, crosses seven valleys of the Venetian Prealps and arrives at the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Corona.
Photo by Llorenzi – Opera propria, CC BY-SA 3.0, Collegamento
You may also be interested in:
- Why the Vasto – S. Salvo cycle-pedestrian path is among the most beautiful in Italy?
- Abruzzo. What to visit in Anversa degli Abruzzi, the village immersed in the Sagittario Gorges?
- Photo. The bridge over the sea of Vasto, a place of peace, tranquility and “Will you marry me?”
- [Video] Abruzzo. Have you ever visited the Roman bridge of Campana, the first on the Aterno river?
- Abruzzo. Do you know the village of Montazzoli “embraced” by whitewashed Mamma Majella?
- Abruzzo. A romantic walk in the village of Civitella del Tronto
- Abruzzo. Villa Santa Maria, the Village of Chefs and good food (Video)
- [Video] Tuscany. Do you know Terme di Saturnia (Saturnia’s thermal baths) famous all over the world?
- Via Verde. By bike on the Trabocchi Coast. A dream is becoming reality (see all the photos)
- Food in Abruzzo. Why Pallotte cace e ove (cheese and egg balls) are so tasty?
- Do you know the Village of Bovino? A part of Puglia still original and a medieval pearl in the Monti Dauni?
- Oscar-winning director Paolo Sorrentino chooses Abruzzo region in Italy for his new movie
- Umbria / Marche. La Piana Grande of Castelluccio di Norcia, an Italian magical place between real and unreal
Discussion about this post