Start your visit with an excursion in the Orfento Valley. It is possible to choose not easy paths and other itineraries suitable for families with children. Contact the visitor center for free registration and for information.
The Orfento Valley is also called the green “jungle” of Abruzzo. The Orfento Valley Nature Reserve is a true “Eden”. Much of the reserve is in the municipality of the spa town of Caramanico Terme. It is a protected area, undoubtedly one of the most beautiful, wild and spectacular areas of the entire Abruzzo region, which includes a large territory with differences in height and heights ranging from 500 to 2,600 m. of altitude. The valley is covered by immense and luxuriant beech woods crossed by numerous canyons rich in water and thundering waterfalls.
For a lunch, an aperitif or an ice cream, we recommend continuing to the village of San Valentino in Abruzzo Citeriore where, in addition to one of the most awarded ice cream parlors in Abruzzo, you can visit the characteristic historic center that leads to the Duomo, the Castello-Palazzo Farnese, the church of San Rocco (just outside the town) and the museum of fossils and amber.
To end the day in style, we recommend reaching the town of Serramonacesca and from there head for a few kilometers outside the town and visit the Abbey of San Liberatore a Majella, an authentic jewel of Abruzzo. From this church, located in an unparalleled landscape environment, you can also visit the rock tombs and the Gorges of the Alento river. Have a good trip and enjoy!
Credit foto: Valle Orfento (foto di Claudio Parente), San Valentino in A.C. (foto di Roberto De Ficis), San Liberatore a Majella (dal web)
You may also be interested in:
- Why the Vasto – S. Salvo cycle-pedestrian path is among the most beautiful in Italy?
- Abruzzo. What to visit in Anversa degli Abruzzi, the village immersed in the Sagittario Gorges?
- Photo. The bridge over the sea of Vasto, a place of peace, tranquility and “Will you marry me?”
- [Video] Abruzzo. Have you ever visited the Roman bridge of Campana, the first on the Aterno river?
- Abruzzo. Do you know the village of Montazzoli “embraced” by whitewashed Mamma Majella?
- Abruzzo. A romantic walk in the village of Civitella del Tronto
- Abruzzo. Villa Santa Maria, the Village of Chefs and good food (Video)
- [Video] Tuscany. Do you know Terme di Saturnia (Saturnia’s thermal baths) famous all over the world?
- Via Verde. By bike on the Trabocchi Coast. A dream is becoming reality (see all the photos)
- Food in Abruzzo. Why Pallotte cace e ove (cheese and egg balls) are so tasty?
- Do you know the Village of Bovino? A part of Puglia still original and a medieval pearl in the Monti Dauni?
- Oscar-winning director Paolo Sorrentino chooses Abruzzo region in Italy for his new movie
- Umbria / Marche. La Piana Grande of Castelluccio di Norcia, an Italian magical place between real and unreal
- [VIDEO] Abruzzo, Italy. Rocca Calascio (Fortress of Calascio) told by the journalist Alberto Angela
- It is in Italy the little smiling church that seems to say “Hello”. You know where?
- Piemonte. Have you ever visited Orta San Giulio with one of the most beautiful island on the lake in Italy
- [Video] When Pope John Paul II visited Campo Imperatore in Abruzzo
- Abruzzo, Italy. Do you know Pacentro, the medieval village with its wonderful “intrigue of alleyways”?
- Abruzzo. Have you ever visited the Torre del Cerrano, an ancient defense by the Turks?
- Lazio. Do you know Vico Lake, one of the highest in Italy?