Getting here, in Campana, province of L’Aquila, means taking a deep trip in Roman Italy. In fact, this bridge dates back to this era, when Emperor Claudius was in power. Claudio’s era is remembered precisely for the large number of public works built in the Empire, as well as for the build of two streets, the Claudia Valeria and the Claudia Nova, which have his name.
In this context of structural expansion of the Empire, Claudio decided to build 43 bridges useful to cross the Aterno river and therefore facilitate the passage of people and goods from one side to the other. According to historical sources, in the distance of only 11 miles, even 12 were built and this still visible in Campana was the first built.
The bridge is located in a valley, at the foot of a slightly sloping grassy area, this work marks the end of the Aquila basin and the following beginning of the Subequana valley. It is certainly a place that deserves a visit both for lovers of road works but also to breathe the Roman history that has arrived to us.
You may also be interested
- Sweeties from Abruzzo. Mostacciolo of Scanno and Sfogliatella of Villalfonsina. Which one can’t you resist?
- Vasto, Italy. “A Look Through My Eyes”, an exciting video dedicated to the city by Massimiliano Uva
- Abruzzo, Italy. Have you ever tasted “Sise delle Monache” (Nun’s tits) a typical sweet made in Guardiagrele?
- [Video] Abruzzo. Hai mai visitato il Ponte Romano di Campana, il primo sul fiume Aterno?
- Campania. Do you know Sorrento, the wonderful village on the cliff and the sea?
- Abruzzo. Palmoli, a rare example of ‘Romantic-Agricultural Art’. Will it be to say “I love you” to Nature?
- Castle of Roccascalegna: the right place for an authentic medieval experience in Abruzzo
- Vasto, Abruzzo (Italy). This is our dream sea with the clean water all for you
- Abruzzo. Sulmona is the City of Confetti. Have you ever bought them in typical shops?
- Valle d’Aosta. Do you know the eclectic and fairytale Castel Savoia in Gressoney Saint Jean?
- [Video] Do you know Tuerredda Beach, the famous beach with white sand in Caribbean style?
- Abruzzo. Alberto Angela visits the incredible landscapes and the wonders of Campo Imperatore
- Abruzzo. Borgo di Calascio, alleys between flowers, sun and relax
- Tuscany. Have you ever visited Bagni San Filippo, the natural spas in the magnificent Val d’Orcia?
- Abruzzo. Do you know the village of Goriano Sicoli, one of the most beautiful villages in Italy?
- Abruzzo. Do you know the village of Montazzoli “embraced” by whitewashed Mamma Majella?
- Lazio. Do you know Vico Lake, one of the highest in Italy?
- Abruzzo. Scanno lake. A bench in the snow to appreciate the silence and kindness
- Abruzzo. The astronaut Luca Parmitano photographs the Gran Sasso mountain from Space
- Lombardy. Do you know Limone sul Garda, a charming seaside village with lemon houses?