Bullicame (formerly Bulicame) is a source of hot sulphurous water (around 58 ° C), located just outside Viterbo, west of the historic city center and near the airport.
Bullicame is the best known of the many thermal and hypothermal springs fed by the large hydrothermal basin of Viterbo, together with the other springs, Carletti, San Sisto; Bagnaccio, Zitelle, Piazza d’Armi, and many others. Since the end of the twentieth century the source has shown a progressive reduction in the flow.
The source of the Bullicame has been documented since the early Middle Ages, as a point of passage along the Via Francigena. In particular in the itinerary of Sigerico, Archbishop of Canterbury, it represented the sixth stage (Mansio) leaving Rome and the place was called Sce Valentine, in memory of the Saints Valentino and Ilario, martyred nearby, according to tradition.
You may also be interested in:
- Typical products. Have you already tasted Brodetto di Pesce alla Vastese (fish soup), a marriage between sea and land?
- Taste in Abruzzo. Why do North Americans love Pallotte Cace e Ove (cheese and egg balls)?
- Italian beaches. Have you ever been to Le Cannelle Beach on the Giglio Island?
- Abruzzo. Modernity and the avant-garde of the Flaiano Bridge in Pescara
- [Video integrale] Alberto Angela e le “Meraviglie” di Alba Fucens e Rocca Calascio
- Photo. The bridge over the sea of Vasto, a place of peace, tranquility and “Will you marry me?”
- Here is the Pizza Dogge, the most famous post-war wedding cake in Abruzzo
- Abruzzo. Have you ever visited the Torre del Cerrano, an ancient defense by the Turks?
- It is in Abruzzo, a magical path that “flows” onto the beach and the sea. You know where?
- Lazio. Ti sei già rilassato nelle Terme del Bullicame sull’antica Via Francigena?
- Abruzzo. Borgo di Calascio, alleys between flowers, sun and relax
- Abruzzo. The Church of San Pietro at the foot of the Roccascalegna Castle that looks like a painting
- Spello. Have you visited the beautiful Porta di Venere (Venus Gate)? Here’s what it was and how it is
- Schiavi di Abruzzo. Bufera di neve in paese, foto dal Rifugio dei Lupi
- Abruzzo. What to visit in Anversa degli Abruzzi, the village immersed in the Sagittario Gorges?
- Abruzzo. Palmoli, a rare example of ‘Romantic-Agricultural Art’. Will it be to say “I love you” to Nature?
- Abruzzo. Do you know the village of Montazzoli “embraced” by whitewashed Mamma Majella?
- Abruzzo. Scanno, ecco il video storico sul magico folklore abruzzese ❤
- Abruzzo. Scanno lake. A bench in the snow to appreciate the silence and kindness
- Abruzzo. Alberto Angela visits the incredible landscapes and the wonders of Campo Imperatore