The Venus gate is one of the six urban gates of Roman art in the Umbrian town of Spello, so called in the seventeenth century for its proximity to a temple dedicated to the goddess of beauty, of which evident traces have been found in the park of Villa Fidelia.
The door, made of white travertine and decorated with Doric pilasters, is characterized by three arched openings (arches), from the period of the reign of Emperor Octavian Augustus (27 BC-14 BC), between two mighty Romanesque dodecagonal towers, on high square supports.
You may also be interested in:
- [Video integrale] Alberto Angela e le “Meraviglie” di Alba Fucens e Rocca Calascio
- Castle of Roccascalegna: the right place for an authentic medieval experience in Abruzzo
- Abruzzo. Scanno, ecco il video storico sul magico folklore abruzzese ❤
- San Giovanni in Venere. A dream Abbey on the wonderful sea in the Costa dei Trabocchi
- [Video] Abruzzo. Lo storico Bivacco Bafile sulla roccia che guarda il Corno Grande
- Valle d’Aosta. Do you know the eclectic and fairytale Castel Savoia in Gressoney Saint Jean?
- Food in Abruzzo. Why Pallotte cace e ove (cheese and egg balls) are so tasty?
- Lazio. Do you know Vico Lake, one of the highest in Italy?
- Sardinia. Do you know Cala Goloritzé beach born from a landslide and with a high pinnacle?
- [Video] Abruzzo. Hop on with us for a breathtaking journey on the Gran Sasso cable car
- Abruzzo. Borgo di Calascio, alleys between flowers, sun and relax
- Abruzzo. Alberto Angela visits the incredible landscapes and the wonders of Campo Imperatore
- Abruzzo. Scanno lake. A bench in the snow to appreciate the silence and kindness
- Abruzzo. Do you know the village of Montazzoli “embraced” by whitewashed Mamma Majella?
- Gusto in Abruzzo. Perché le pallotte cace e ove sono così buone?
- Abruzzo. Scanno and the foosball that “resists” in the streets of the ancient village
- Abruzzo. Palmoli, a rare example of ‘Romantic-Agricultural Art’. Will it be to say “I love you” to Nature?
- Abruzzo. What to visit in Anversa degli Abruzzi, the village immersed in the Sagittario Gorges?
- Abruzzo. One day itinerary. Stiffe caves, village of Castelli and ceramics Bominaco
- Vasto. Underwater at Punta Aderci, a Wonderful Video tells the depths of the Nature Reserve
Discussion about this post