Summer, time for lunches and dinners with friends, at home or in the garden or in one of the many quality farmhouses that can be found in Abruzzo. There are foods that in Abruzzo culture are very tied to the summer season because they stimulate conviviality and friendship.
Here is a selection (not exhaustive) of the 5 foods for a top summer in Abruzzo:
Ndurciullune with lamb sauce: homemade pasta, similar to seasoned with a very thick sauce made with lamb meat, tasty and caloric.
Brodetto di pesce alla Vastese (fish soup): one of the best known products from the coast of Vasto and the entire Costa dei Trabocchi. This fish soup is made with fish, vegetables and tomato (“mezzotempo” quality is recommended)
In dialet Pane onde e pammadore (Tomato oil bread): slices of homemade bread bought in the ovens in villages, with crispy crust and soft breadcrumbs, juicy tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil. To taste with the addition of dried oregano. Do not forget to stick one slice on the other to mix the seasoning well.
Abruzzese Peperonata: as a condiment for meat or fish dishes but also as a single dish, especially when the bread sinks between peppers and oil absorbing the taste, mixed between the sweet and bitter peppers. Also perfect to be enjoyed on the beach before a nap under an umbrella.
Arrosticini: The arrosticini, also called rustell or rustelle in various Abruzzese dialects, are skewers of mutton, typical of the Apennines, in particular of Abruzzese cuisine. They are closely linked to the pastoral tradition of Abruzzo and the consequent consumption of sheepmeat.
You may also be interested in:
- Abruzzo. Do you know the village of Montazzoli “embraced” by whitewashed Mamma Majella?
- Abruzzo. Sulmona is the City of Confetti. Have you ever bought them in typical shops?
- Vasto, Costa dei Trabocchi (Italy). When a stormy sea, between splashes and waves, gives you tranquility
- Borgo di Palmoli. Hai mai gustato le Polpe di Ventricina alla brace? Ti aspettano!
- Trekking in Abruzzo. La Cascata del Linaro dal Belvedere Balzolo, Pennapiedimonte (guarda le foto e il video)
- Abruzzo. Modernity and the avant-garde of the Flaiano Bridge in Pescara
- Sweeties from Abruzzo. Mostacciolo of Scanno and Sfogliatella of Villalfonsina. Which one can’t you resist?
- Casamari Abbey, year 1200, one of the most important Cistercian Gothic monasteries
- Scanno. It is in Abruzzo, the heart-shaped lake that makes the world fall in love
- [Video] The transparent and crystalline water of the Ripari di Giobbe is a miracle of nature
- Italian beaches. Have you ever been to Le Cannelle Beach on the Giglio Island?
- Abruzzo. Montesilvano, a look at the beach and the sea, what a paradise!
- Abruzzo. Lavino River Park. Where Blue becomes Turquoise and a Walk becomes a Dream [see the other photos]
- Abruzzo. Itinerary for everyone. Orfento Valley, San Valentino in A.C., San Liberatore a Majella
- [Video] Do you know Tuerredda Beach, the famous beach with white sand in Caribbean style?
- Abruzzo. Have you visited the thirteenth-century cloister of the Abbey of San Giovanni in Venere?
- [Video] Sicilia. Rabbits Beach in Lampedusa island: contemplate the beauty of the sea
- Roccacaramanico. Sunny square, but shade and refreshing breeze under trees and umbrellas. Have you been there before?
- Lombardy. Do you know Limone sul Garda, a charming seaside village with lemon houses?
- Eventi. Ecco il calendario estate a Guardiagrele